Blood sample: collection in EDTA (anticoagulant), required amount of 1-3 ml of blood, regardless of the number of analyzes ordered.
The tube must be screw-capped or taped to prevent the lid from coming loose and blood from spilling. The tube must be marked with a chip or the name of the dog. Send the tube inserted in the plastic bag by mail in a bubble envelope.
The collection is performed only by a veterinarian or a person authorized by him. Verification of identity and confirmation of collection will be certified by a veterinarian with a stamp and signature on the order form or a printed online order. Without confirmation of collection by a veterinarian, the protocol states: “The identity of the individual has not been verified”.
The stated amount of 1-3 ml of blood is sufficient for all analyzes, no sampling is required for each ordered analysis.
Cytobrushes-Instructions for use
Please follow the instructions described below:
- The swab should be taken by a veterinarian (it is optional). The vet can also check the identity of the animal which should be confirmed by his signature. Sampling can also be carried out by breeders.
- To avoid contamination of the sample DNA with DNA from other sources the animal shouldn´t be fed 1-2 hours before taking the swab. It is recommended to do the sampling of puppies older than 3 weeks. It is also recommended to isolate puppies from each other at least 1 hour before sampling.
- Thoroughly rub the brush on the inside of the cheek and turn it 5 – 6 times. This will ensure enough cells attached to the cytology brush.
- It is not possible to perform a genetic test if there is not enough genetic material on the brush; therefore, it is advisable to use 2 cytobrushes per animal.
- It is very important to air dry the cytobrushes after use (must be completely dry). Do not put brushes into any plastic tubes or covers.
- Label the cover with important information (name of the dog, chip, etc.)
- Brushes need to be dry before putting them into the cover. You can put the brushes back to the plastic bags in which they were.
- Since January 2015 Slovgen laboratory will process only whole blood samples (1ml – 3 ml in EDTA) and buccal cytological brushes. We will not perform the analysis from cotton swabs.
- If possible, send the cytobrushes on the same day to us. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact us.
- If sampling is not performed properly, the results can be influenced by contaminating and inhibiting factors (remains of a meal, microorganisms, mucosa of the mother, etc.).